More dessert this week! I made this layered ice cream cake for my grandfather's birthday. It takes a bit of time, but it's super easy and looks so pretty once done.
How to (adapted from Martha Stewart):
- Line a cake pan with plastic wrap.
- Add a layer of cake at the bottom. I used yellow cake, because I love the texture and flavour. Using a cake that's already shaped the same as your pan makes this much easier.
- Spread jam of choice on cake layer - I used blackcurrant jam.
- Cover jam with layer of soft vanilla ice cream and pop the pan into the freezer for a couple of hours until firm.
- Spread one layer of soft sorbet (I used raspberry) into the pan and pop back into freezer until firm.
- Add another layer of soft sorbet (I used lemon cream because I couldn't find lemon, but I think a brighter yellow layer would have been pretty).
- Top with layer of cake. Cover with plastic wrap and pop back into freezer and chill overnight.
Next day: Remove plastic wrap, turn over pan and pop out the ice cream cake - slice and serve immediately. Isn't it pretty?
I made this cake with store bought cake and ice cream. You can up your game and make your cake and your ice cream from scratch. I used one cake and made two loaves of ice-cream cake - if you want more actual cake, you can just cut thicker slices for your layers. Enjoy!