We had company this past weekend and it was hot - really hot. I wanted to have a dessert that was easy to make, could be prepared in advance and was great to eat at room temperature. And because cherries are out right now, I wanted to incorporate those.
I decided on a clafoutis and used Aran's and Helene's recipes as a guide. It turned out great and I was glad to have something on hand without having to rush before our company arrived.
You need (Adapted from Tartelette and Cannelle et Vanille):
- 2 cups of cherries, pitted
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- Scraped vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and position a rack in the middle. Place all the cherries in a 8-inch round pie dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and honey until well combined. Add the vanilla, lemon zest, milk, cream and flour and whisk until smooth. Carefully pour over the cherries. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve at room temperature and dust with sugar.